The 21st century is a very dynamic era to live in. As we talk of increased job opportunities from remote and technological innovations, there is also a growing number of endangered jobs that are gradually becoming unnecessary and obsolete. This is why large unemployment statistics are being reported in many nations. There are a few reasons responsible for this, and they include;
· Technological advancements; this is the most common cause. It happens to virtually every sector of the economy
· Change in consumer preference; availability of better options
· Immigration patterns; can affect purchasing power, labour demand, and so on.
· Globalization- Increase in general efficiency and productivity can make some job descriptions irrelevant
· An influx of cheap labour
There is a need for awareness of endangered jobs. It will help the preparedness of both current employees and companies. Now, let’s explore some of the jobs that are becoming obsolete;
· Bank tellers-There have been banking innovations leading to the internet and mobile banking. These models are now optimally reliable, fast, and convenient for customers to use. Nearly all the financial services one can think of are now available on these platforms.
While banks may remain in operations for a while, customers won’t be visiting for teller operations in no time.
· Printing press operator- The future of the printing industry is very bleak. Many publications and journals are becoming fully online versions. Millennials are not spending on paper printing whatsoever. Most news publications and magazines get the widest audience from their websites and are now devoting their resources towards that path.
· Travel agents- For several years, travelling required visiting travel agency offices and flipping through destination offers to discuss our travel plans. Nowadays, all that is required is the internet and your bank card. You can research a destination, book flights or file visa applications, make hotel reservations, etc. online.
· Mailman/Postman- Electronic mails are now very efficient and technologically capable. The dominance of social media and internet technology have drastically reduced any need for these workers. The job of the traditional mailman is now becoming obsolete.
Compulsory physical mails are often of high importance or confidentiality and are now handled by private companies like FedEx.
· Umpire/Sports referee- Choosing a career as a sports referee right now will translate into a lack of foresight and prospects. The latest technology, Video assistant referee (VAR) system is fast replacing the services of a sports referee. This system reduces errors to the barest minimum. It has been accepted by the concerned bodies and is currently being utilized in the European leagues.
· Drivers- The services of a driver are also an endangered job. The technology of self-driving cars has witnessed tremendous efforts over the last few years. Just like many other automation being introduced, there are only a few years before self-driving cars become very common.
Drivers in developing countries may feel the heat much later, but the reality remains valid for their counterparts in developed countries.
· Cashiers- Retail outlets are not left out of the technology wave. The developments of contactless and self check-outs are gradually being optimized. Large retail chains are very thrilled about the idea. Protocols are being discussed to implement this technology.
We do hope your job did not make this list of jobs that are becoming obsolete. If it does, we are happy you got this information early enough.
How to Prepare Your Crypto Investments When Filing Taxes
How Cryptocurrency Changes the Financial Landscape
Comments here are not of the author's opinion. Users are responsible for their comments.