Since the start of global civilization, the world has witnessed consistent technological advancements in every aspect of life. Most technological trends eventually become established after several improvements. A few others do fade into oblivion due to a premature introduction into the system (when we aren’t ready, literally) or ethical considerations. An example is the invention of self-driving cars in 1958, which only got widespread use in the last few years.
Like every year, the year 2020 didn’t only come along with the coronavirus pandemic, there are a handful of technological innovations that are worth our attention. The technological trends of 2020 include-
· 5G technology- There have been talks about 5G but this year took many turns. The usage of 5G internet technology began in many countries. The funny allegations of coronavirus causability caused a whole lot of scrutiny on its installation and use. 5G offers an exceptional speed up to 20 GB/s, with amplified broadband for mobile communication. There is no doubt that technology will revolutionize ICT.
· Artificial Intelligence (AI)- AI has been getting all the attention it deserves in 2020. AI simply represents computer and related systems built to mimic and perform human functions. The prominent use of AI include personal assistants, delivery agents, machine learning, specialized business models, and so on.
It was reported by Newyork Times that five out of 6 Americans use AI services for one purpose or the other. AI is, however, causing the loss of many jobs, while not creating enough jobs to balance this loss.
· Edge computing- This is an innovator modification of cloud computing. Cloud computing was the former breakthrough innovation, but as the type and volume of data used in the e-space continually increases, many lapses of cloud storage have been exposed. Edge computing is designed to process very sensitive data in remote locations, with little or no connection to the centralized network/location.
· Internet of things (IoT)- This is a technology that has warranted an increased use of edge computing. IoT enables different appliances, devices, and equipment to connect and exchange data over the internet. These ‘things’ are developed/built using Wi-Fi connectivity, and they can be connected both to the internet and to each other. The total number of devices designed based on IoT is expected to hit 30 billion this year.
· Robotic Process Automation (RPA)- This is another latest technological trend similar to AI services. It involves the total automation of human jobs. Nearly half of human jobs can actually be automated, including some delicate and specialized services like that of a doctor. The commonly automated services include email handling, processing transactions, data handling, interpreting software, and many repetitive job activities.
Virtual reality/Augmented reality- Virtual reality aims to provide a complete immersion experience that shuts out the real world, while augmented reality provides digital elements to enhance the virtual world and make the transition enjoyable. These two technologies have found profound potential in entertainment, education, marketing, etc. The big players of this new technology are Google, Oculus, Samsun, etc. Examples of an augmented reality tool are the Pokeman Go game, Snapchat lenses, and so on. With virtual reality, anything imaginable can
Comments here are not of the author's opinion. Users are responsible for their comments.